THE TEACHER DISCUSSION QUESTIONS
- How does the scandal involving the student-teacher affair impact the dynamics within the school community?
- How do the rumors and gossip surrounding Addie shape the way she is perceived by others?
- Explore the character of Addie. What motivates her actions, and how does her backstory contribute to her behavior? Do you sympathize with her, or do you view her as a villainous character?
- In what ways does "The Teacher" address issues of trust and betrayal?
- Reflect on the significance of secrets in the novel. How do the secrets held by various characters drive the plot forward, and what consequences do they face as a result of keeping or revealing these secrets?
- Discuss the portrayal of power dynamics in the teacher-student relationship depicted in the book. How does the imbalance of power influence the interactions between characters, and what commentary does the novel offer on this issue?
- Analyze the role of gossip and rumors in "The Teacher." How do these elements contribute to the atmosphere of the story, and what commentary does the author make about the nature of rumors and their impact on individuals?
- Explore the theme of redemption in the novel. Do any characters undergo a process of redemption throughout the story, and if so, what prompts this transformation? How does the theme of redemption tie into the overarching narrative?
- Consider the portrayal of morality and ethics in "The Teacher." How do the characters navigate moral dilemmas, and do their actions align with societal norms and expectations? How does the novel challenge traditional notions of morality? Do you think Eve is as morally culpable as Nate?
- Reflect on the ending of the book. Were you surprised by the outcome? How does the resolution of the story reflect the themes and character arcs explored throughout the novel?